Relationships That Keep Your Nervous System in Survival Mode


One of the biggest lessons I have learned as I've gotten older is that love is not supposed to constantly feel like survival. I used to believe that if I loved someone enough, if I communicated better, if I became more patient, more understanding, more forgiving, eventually everything would settle down and we would finally reach the peaceful relationship I kept dreaming about. What I didn't realize back then was that I wasn't waiting for peace. I was living inside chaos and calling it love.

When your nervous system is constantly dysregulated because of a relationship, your body knows something your heart is still trying to negotiate. That feeling of always waiting for the next argument, wondering what mood your partner will be in today, replaying conversations in your head for hours afterward, walking on eggshells because one wrong sentence could turn into another emotional explosion, none of that is what emotional safety feels like. It is your body trying to protect you from something it has already recognized as a threat.

Our nervous systems are incredibly intelligent. They are designed to keep us alive, not just physically but emotionally too. When we feel safe, we relax, we laugh more easily, we sleep better, we think clearly, and we are able to connect with the people around us. When we feel unsafe, our bodies shift into survival mode. Our heart rate increases, our muscles tense, our breathing changes, our digestion slows down, and our brain becomes focused on scanning for danger instead of enjoying the present moment. The problem is that if you stay in a relationship that repeatedly activates this stress response, your body begins to believe that this is your normal state.

I think many women spend years blaming themselves for this feeling. We convince ourselves that we are just anxious people, that we overthink everything, that we are too sensitive, too emotional, or too insecure. Then we leave the relationship, or we finally experience what genuine emotional safety feels like, and suddenly we realize that we weren't the problem nearly as much as we believed. We were reacting to an environment that never allowed us to fully relax.

Relationships become dysregulating for many reasons. One day your partner showers you with affection and the next day they become cold and distant without explanation. They promise change but keep repeating the same behaviors. Arguments never really get resolved because every conversation circles back to blame, defensiveness, or silence. They dismiss your feelings, make you question your own reality, or leave you wondering whether you're asking for too much when all you wanted was kindness and consistency. Over time your nervous system stops expecting stability because stability rarely arrives.

This kind of emotional unpredictability creates a cycle that is incredibly difficult to break. Your brain starts chasing the moments when everything feels good because they provide relief after periods of stress. The happy moments feel almost addictive because they temporarily calm the anxiety that the relationship itself created. Many people mistake this emotional roller coaster for passion, chemistry, or a deep connection, when in reality it is their nervous system bouncing between fear and temporary relief.

Living this way takes a tremendous toll on your body. Chronic stress does not stay inside your thoughts. It begins showing up everywhere. Your sleep becomes lighter, your energy disappears, your concentration suffers, and your body carries tension that never fully goes away. You may notice headaches, stomach problems, muscle pain, constant fatigue, or simply feeling emotionally exhausted before the day has even started. Your body is working overtime because it never gets permission to fully rest.

What makes this especially heartbreaking is how much of yourself you slowly lose without even noticing. You stop laughing as freely. You stop feeling excited about your own goals. You spend more time analyzing your relationship than actually enjoying your life. You become so focused on keeping the peace that you no longer know what brings you peace. Your world slowly becomes centered around someone else's moods instead of your own happiness.

I also think women are often taught to admire endurance. We praise ourselves for staying, for fighting harder, for giving people endless chances, for believing that unconditional love means accepting emotional instability. There is a difference between supporting someone through difficult times and sacrificing your own emotional health every single day. Love should ask you to grow, but it should never ask you to abandon yourself.

One of the most beautiful feelings in the world is realizing what emotional safety actually feels like. It is not boring. It is not lacking passion. It is simply calm. It is knowing that disagreements do not threaten the relationship. It is trusting that your feelings will be heard instead of dismissed. It is being able to speak without rehearsing every sentence first. It is feeling like your body can finally exhale because it no longer needs to prepare for emotional danger around every corner.

I have learned to pay attention to my body as much as I pay attention to someone's words. If I constantly feel anxious, tense, confused, emotionally drained, or like I have to earn basic respect, I no longer see those feelings as something to ignore. They are information. They are signals. They are reminders that my nervous system is trying to protect me.

We only get one body, one mind, and one life. Spending years in relationships that keep us trapped in survival mode steals far more than our time. It steals our confidence, our health, our joy, our peace, and our ability to believe that love can actually feel safe. Every woman deserves a relationship where her nervous system can rest instead of constantly preparing for the next emotional storm, because the healthiest love will never require your body to live as though it is under attack.

Thankful for your presence, Neja

Comments