The Pick Me Woman Is More Than Just a Social Media Insult
I have to admit that the phrase “pick me woman” has become one of those internet expressions that I have a complicated relationship with, because on one hand, I understand exactly what people mean when they use it, but on the other hand, I think we have become a little too comfortable throwing the label at women without asking ourselves why a woman might feel the need to constantly prove that she is different from other women in order to be chosen, accepted, admired or loved.
A pick me woman is generally understood as a woman who seeks male approval by presenting herself as different from, or better than, other women, particularly when she believes that being “one of the guys” will make her more desirable or interesting to men. She might loudly announce that she does not get along with women, that she hates “female drama,” that she is not like other girls, that she does not need makeup, that she would rather drink beer and watch sports than go shopping, or that she is much easier to date because she does not ask for much. None of these things are inherently problematic, because women are allowed to have different interests, personalities and relationships with femininity, but the problem begins when those differences are used as a performance designed to receive male approval, especially when another woman has to be put down in the process.
And I think that distinction matters.
There is nothing wrong with being a woman who genuinely loves football, does not wear makeup, has mostly male friends, prefers jeans to dresses, enjoys drinking beer, does not care about weddings, loves gaming, has no interest in fashion or simply feels more comfortable around men. We do not need to turn every woman with traditionally masculine interests into a pick me, because that is just another way of policing women's behavior. The problem is not that she is different. The problem is when she needs everyone to know that she is different because she has learned to associate being different from other women with being more worthy of male attention.
That is where things become uncomfortable.
I think the deeper issue with the pick me mentality is that it often comes from the belief that there is only a limited amount of approval available to women, and therefore we have to compete with each other to receive it. If men prefer women who are low maintenance, then I will be the lowest maintenance woman in the room. If men say they hate drama, I will make sure everyone knows that I am not dramatic. If men complain about women wearing too much makeup, I will proudly tell them that I never wear any. If men say women are too emotional, I will make sure they see me as the calm, rational exception. If men complain about girlfriends wanting commitment, I will tell them that I am perfectly happy keeping things casual.
And suddenly, being loved is no longer about being yourself and finding someone who appreciates you. It becomes an audition.
I have watched this mentality play out online and in real life, and what strikes me most is how often women are encouraged to shrink themselves while believing they are actually becoming more desirable. We are told to be attractive but not vain, confident but not intimidating, sexual but not promiscuous, independent but not so independent that a man feels unnecessary, intelligent but not threatening, emotional but not too emotional, ambitious but still available, feminine but not high maintenance. There is always another invisible line we are expected not to cross, and the pick me mentality can become another strategy for navigating those expectations.
What makes it particularly sad to me is that some women genuinely believe they are winning when they are rewarded for abandoning their own needs.
There is a huge difference between being easygoing and being afraid to have needs. There is a difference between being independent and convincing yourself that you should never need anyone. There is a difference between not caring about marriage and pretending that you do not care because the man you are dating does not want it. There is a difference between enjoying casual dating and accepting whatever someone offers you because you are terrified that asking for commitment will make them leave.
A woman can absolutely be low maintenance because that is simply who she is. But if she has trained herself not to ask for anything because she thinks asking makes her less desirable, that is not necessarily confidence. It can be insecurity wearing a very convincing disguise.
And this is where I think the conversation around pick me women needs more compassion.
Because where does this behavior come from?
A lot of women grow up absorbing the message that male attention is a form of validation. We are surrounded by stories in which being chosen by a man is treated as the ultimate confirmation that a woman is beautiful, special and worthy, and even when we become adults and intellectually understand that our value has nothing to do with whether someone wants to date us, those old messages do not simply disappear.
So we learn how to become desirable.
We learn what men supposedly want. We study what makes a woman “wife material.” We compare ourselves to other women. We learn which physical features are considered attractive, which personalities are considered acceptable and which behaviors supposedly scare men away. We hear that men do not like women who are too independent, too emotional, too opinionated, too sexual, too ambitious, too demanding or too complicated, and eventually some women begin editing themselves before anyone else even gets the opportunity to reject them.
That is why I do not think the answer is simply to call these women pathetic or desperate.
I think the more interesting question is why so many women have been taught that being chosen by a man is such an important achievement in the first place.
There is also a particularly ugly side to pick me behavior that I think we should be willing to talk about, which is the need to gain approval by humiliating other women. When a woman says, “I am not like those other girls,” she is often creating a hierarchy in which she gets to be the exception and other women become the inferior category. She is saying, intentionally or unintentionally, that femininity is embarrassing, that women are annoying, that other women are too emotional or too demanding, while she is somehow better because she has managed to distance herself from them.
And I find that exhausting.
Women do not become more valuable because another woman becomes less valuable.
You do not become more beautiful because another woman is insecure about her appearance. You do not become more intelligent because another woman is interested in something you consider shallow. You do not become more desirable because another woman has higher standards in relationships. You do not become a better girlfriend because another woman wants more attention from her partner. You do not need to be the “cool girl” standing beside a group of women rolling her eyes at them while secretly hoping a man notices how different she is.
There is room for all of us.
And I think this is something women need to remind themselves of more often, particularly in a culture where female competition is constantly being disguised as empowerment. We are encouraged to compare our bodies, our relationships, our careers, our beauty, our lifestyles and even our personalities, and then we are surprised when women begin looking for ways to distinguish themselves from one another.
But you do not need to win the competition.
You can just leave it.
You can like what you like without announcing that your preferences make you better than other women. You can have male friends without treating female friendships as inherently inferior. You can enjoy traditionally feminine things without apologizing for them, and you can enjoy traditionally masculine things without using them as proof that you are somehow superior to women who love dresses, makeup, romance novels or shopping.
More importantly, you can stop making yourself smaller to become more convenient for someone else.
If you genuinely do not want marriage, wonderful. If you genuinely want marriage, that is wonderful too. If you want children, say so. If you do not, say that too. If you want a relationship where your partner communicates with you every day, you are allowed to want that. If you prefer more independence, you are allowed to want that. If you want flowers, affection, commitment, romance, emotional vulnerability, reassurance or whatever else makes you feel loved, you do not have to pretend you are above those things just because someone told you that men find women with needs exhausting.
The right relationship should not require you to perform indifference.
And perhaps that is the biggest lesson I have taken from the whole pick me conversation. Being chosen is not the ultimate prize. Being chosen by someone who only wants you when you are quiet, convenient, undemanding and endlessly agreeable is not necessarily a victory. Being chosen because you have convinced someone that you are less complicated than every woman they have ever met is not necessarily love.
I would rather be known for who I actually am.
I would rather be a woman with opinions, boundaries, interests, flaws, emotions, standards and needs than become a carefully edited version of myself designed to make someone else comfortable. I would rather be rejected for being myself than accepted for a version of myself that I cannot maintain.
Because there is something incredibly freeing about realizing that you do not need to be the exception.
You do not have to be the coolest girl in the room, the easiest girlfriend, the least emotional woman, the most beautiful woman, the woman who “doesn't need anything,” or the woman who is somehow completely unlike everyone else. You can simply be a woman, with all the contradictions and complexity that come with being one, and allow people to decide whether they genuinely like you.
And if they do not, that does not mean you have failed.
It just means you were never supposed to audition for them in the first place.
Thankful for your presence, Neja

Comments
Post a Comment