Is It Possible for Men to Not Stress Women Out


I have been thinking about this question a lot lately because, as women, we talk so much about stress, emotional labor, relationships, communication and the exhaustion that comes from carrying too much, yet we rarely stop to ask a very simple question: why do so many relationships with men seem to create additional stress instead of making life feel a little easier?

I know that sounds harsh, and I am not saying every man is walking around deliberately trying to make the woman beside him lose her mind, but I do think there is a very real difference between having a partner who occasionally causes stress because life is complicated and having a partner who consistently becomes another thing you have to manage.

Life is already stressful enough. We have bills, work, family issues, health concerns, responsibilities, our own insecurities, the state of the world, the pressure to look a certain way, the pressure to achieve something with our lives, and the constant mental noise that comes from simply being a person trying to function in modern society. When I am in a relationship, I do not expect my partner to magically remove all of that, because that would be completely unrealistic, but I do expect him not to become another source of chaos that I have to emotionally recover from.

I want my relationship to feel like a place where I can put some of the weight down.

That does not mean I want a man who agrees with everything I say or never challenges me, because that would not be a real relationship either. I want someone who can have difficult conversations without turning every disagreement into a battle, someone who can hear that I am upset without immediately becoming defensive, and someone who understands that when I tell him something is hurting me, my goal is not necessarily to attack him but to try to make the relationship better.

That seems incredibly basic to me, yet somehow it can feel like asking for too much.

One of the most exhausting things about relationships is when a woman has to explain the same emotional reality repeatedly before her partner takes it seriously. Imagine already being overwhelmed and then having to explain why something is overwhelming, explain why you reacted to it, explain why his response made it worse, and then somehow become responsible for making sure he does not feel uncomfortable about the conversation. At that point, you are not just experiencing the original problem anymore, you are managing the entire emotional aftermath of it.

That is exhausting.

I have also started to understand why so many women become resentful when they feel like they have to mother their partners. It is not necessarily because they want to control everything or because they enjoy being responsible for everyone around them, but because when one person repeatedly refuses to notice what needs to be done, communicate properly, take responsibility or think ahead, the other person eventually starts compensating for it.

Then she becomes the planner. She remembers everything. She initiates every difficult conversation. She notices when something is wrong. She thinks about how everyone else is feeling. She tries to prevent arguments. She explains what she needs. She reminds him. She waits. She gets disappointed.

Then she is told that she is too emotional, too demanding, too sensitive or too difficult.

That particular dynamic can make a woman feel completely crazy because she can see the amount of energy she is putting into keeping the relationship functioning, while the man beside her may only notice the moments when she finally breaks down.

I do not think men are incapable of understanding this. I think many men simply have not been expected to develop the same level of emotional awareness that women are expected to develop from childhood.

Women are often taught to notice everything. We notice moods, facial expressions, changes in someone's voice, whether somebody is uncomfortable, whether we said something that might have upset someone, whether the atmosphere in a room has changed. We are often socialized to anticipate needs before they are even expressed, while men can grow up receiving far more forgiveness for being oblivious, emotionally unavailable or dependent on someone else to manage the practical and emotional details of life.

That does not mean every man behaves this way, but I think pretending this difference does not exist helps nobody.

A grown man should be capable of learning.

I am not looking for perfection because I am certainly not perfect myself. I will have bad days, misunderstand things, become defensive, overreact and get things wrong. The difference is whether both people are capable of looking at their behavior and saying, "I could have handled that better."

That sentence can save a relationship.

A man who can genuinely apologize without adding a paragraph explaining why it was actually your fault is incredibly refreshing. A man who can hear criticism without treating it like an attack on his entire character is refreshing. A man who notices that his partner is struggling and asks what he can do instead of waiting until she completely falls apart is refreshing.

I do not think women should have to lower their expectations simply because emotional maturity is still considered some kind of advanced relationship skill.

I also think we need to stop romanticizing the idea that love is supposed to be difficult all the time. Yes, relationships require work. Yes, people will misunderstand each other. Yes, two imperfect people are going to hurt each other occasionally, even when they love each other deeply. But there is a huge difference between normal relationship difficulty and a relationship that leaves you chronically anxious, exhausted, unheard and emotionally depleted.

Love should not require you to live in a permanent state of emotional tension.

I want to believe men can learn how to make women's lives feel less stressful, not because women need men to rescue us, but because that is what partnership is supposed to mean. If I am already carrying my own life, I do not need someone beside me who expects me to carry his emotional responsibilities as well.

I want a man who can be a source of calm without being passive, who can be supportive without treating me like I am fragile, who can communicate without making every conversation feel like a courtroom, and who can take responsibility without needing applause for doing the bare minimum.

Can a man make a woman's life better without making her responsible for teaching him how to be a good partner?

I think the answer is yes.

I think men are absolutely capable of becoming more emotionally intelligent, more considerate, more communicative and more accountable. I also think women are allowed to notice when a relationship is consistently making their lives harder and ask themselves whether this is what partnership is supposed to feel like.

Because I do not want a relationship where I spend half my energy recovering from the relationship itself.

I want love to have room for laughter, comfort, attraction, disagreements, stupid arguments, quiet evenings and difficult seasons, but underneath all of that, I want to feel that the person beside me is on my side. I want to know that when life becomes difficult, I am not going to suddenly discover that I have acquired another problem to solve.

Thankful for your presence, Neja

Comments