Why Women Need More Than Self-Help Books
I have always been fascinated by self-help books because, for a long time, I genuinely believed that the right book could change my life. I would read about boundaries, confidence, healing, habits, relationships, femininity, anxiety, self-worth, productivity and becoming the best version of myself, underlining sentences that felt as if someone had reached inside my head and put words to thoughts I had never been able to explain. For a while, reading those books gave me the feeling that I was doing something about my life, that I was moving forward simply because I was learning something new about myself, and I think a lot of women know exactly what I mean.
Self-help books can be wonderful. I am not here to tell women to stop reading them, because I have learned plenty from them myself, but I have also reached a point where I think we need to talk about what happens when self-improvement becomes another responsibility we place on our own shoulders.
We live in a culture that constantly tells women to work on themselves. Become more confident. Heal your inner child. Set better boundaries. Raise your standards. Stop people pleasing. Learn to love yourself. Become more disciplined. Protect your peace. Build your dream life. Know your worth. Romanticize your life. Wake up earlier. Journal. Meditate. Exercise. Eat better. Read more. Have a morning routine. Have a nighttime routine. Become emotionally intelligent. Be feminine but independent. Be successful but relaxed. Be ambitious but present. Be attractive but effortless.
At some point, you have to wonder when we are actually allowed to just be human.
I think one of the problems with the self-help world is that it can quietly convince us that the answer to every difficult feeling is another thing we need to fix about ourselves. If we are unhappy, we need to change our mindset. If we are lonely, we need to work on our self-love. If we are exhausted, we need a better routine. If we are struggling in a relationship, we need better communication skills. If we are anxious, we need to regulate our nervous system. If we are unhappy with our lives, we need to become a completely different version of ourselves.
Of course, personal responsibility matters, and I believe very strongly in looking at ourselves honestly and asking what we can change, but not everything that hurts us is a personal development project.
A woman can have poor boundaries because she has spent years being taught that being agreeable makes her lovable, but she also needs people around her who respect those boundaries when she finally starts setting them. A woman can work on her confidence for years, but if she lives in an environment where she is constantly criticized, dismissed or made to feel inadequate, a positive affirmation is not going to magically solve the problem. A woman can read every book about healthy relationships ever written and still find herself with someone who refuses to communicate, take responsibility or treat her with respect.
This is where I think self-help books have their limits.
A book can give you language for something you have been feeling, and that can be incredibly powerful, but knowing what is wrong and knowing how to change it are two completely different things. You can understand intellectually that you need boundaries and still feel terrified when you actually have to say no. You can understand that you deserve better and still miss someone who treated you badly. You can know that you should leave a situation and still not feel emotionally ready to leave it. You can understand that you need to stop seeking validation and still crave it because you are human.
Reading about healing is not the same thing as healing.
I learned this in my own life in ways I wish I had understood much earlier. I could read something that made perfect sense to me and feel inspired for a few hours, maybe even a few days, only to find myself back in the same emotional patterns when real life became difficult again. That used to frustrate me because I thought understanding something should automatically make me capable of doing something differently.
It does not.
Change is much messier than a chapter in a book makes it sound.

Comments
Post a Comment