Don’t Let Envy Ruin the Life You Already Have
I have been thinking a lot about envy lately, especially about how easily it can quietly turn into a way of living if we are not careful. It can start as something so small, a little pang when we see another woman who seems more beautiful, more successful, more loved, more confident, more interesting, more financially secure, more accomplished or simply more put together than we feel, and before we know it, we are spending far too much of our emotional energy looking at somebody else's life instead of actually living our own. I think women are particularly vulnerable to this because we are constantly shown carefully selected versions of other women's lives, polished faces, beautiful homes, enviable relationships, perfect bodies, exciting careers and endless social plans, while we are experiencing our own lives from the inside, including every insecurity, mistake, disappointment, awkward moment and unfinished part that nobody else gets to see.
I have had to learn that envy is not going to improve my life. It does not make me prettier, healthier, smarter, happier, wealthier or more accomplished, and sitting around thinking about what somebody else has will never magically put those things into my own hands. If anything, envy can become an enormous distraction from the work that could actually change my circumstances, because it feels much easier to stare at someone else's life and feel inadequate than it does to look honestly at my own life and ask what I can do differently.
Accepting the truth about myself has been a much more useful exercise than comparing myself to other women. I mean really accepting it, including the things I am not proud of, the mistakes I have made, the opportunities I have missed, the habits that have held me back, the characteristics I know I need to work on, the disadvantages I have that other people may not have and the areas where I am simply not as talented or naturally gifted as somebody else. I don't think self-acceptance means pretending everything about yourself is wonderful or convincing yourself that you have no weaknesses. For me, it means looking at myself without the dramatic need to either glorify myself or destroy myself, admitting what is true and then asking what I can do with the person I actually am.
I cannot build my life around the fantasy of becoming somebody else.
I can only work with what I have.
That realization has been surprisingly freeing because once I stop wasting energy wishing I had somebody else's face, body, personality, childhood, career, relationship, bank account or opportunities, I can finally put that energy somewhere productive. I can read. I can learn. I can exercise. I can cook for myself. I can improve my health. I can become more disciplined. I can work on my emotional patterns. I can become more educated. I can develop skills. I can organize my finances, create routines, take better care of my body and become more responsible for the life I am creating.
None of those things sound as glamorous as scrolling through Instagram and wishing I looked like someone else, but they actually give me something that envy never can, which is progress.
I also think personal growth requires a willingness to be brutally honest with ourselves without turning that honesty into self-hatred. If I know I am undisciplined, I need to work on discipline instead of inventing excuses. If I know I spend too much time on my phone, I need to put the phone down more often. If I know I am eating badly, I need to learn how to prepare healthier food instead of endlessly complaining about my body. If I know I am not exercising enough, I need to move my body regularly. If I know I have emotional habits that keep hurting me, I need to examine them. If I know I am lacking knowledge in an area, I can read books, listen to intelligent people, take courses and educate myself.
I don't need to become perfect before I start taking care of myself.
I just need to stop abandoning myself.
I have also come to believe that discipline is a form of self-respect. Not the harsh, punishing kind of discipline where you are constantly angry at yourself for not being perfect, but the quieter kind where you keep showing up for your own life even when you are not particularly motivated. You work out because your body deserves to be strong. You cook because your body deserves nourishing food. You read because your mind deserves stimulation. You create routines because your future self deserves some stability. You go to bed at a reasonable time because tomorrow's version of you deserves to wake up feeling better. You keep promises to yourself because your relationship with yourself matters.
The reward does not always arrive immediately, which is one of the reasons envy is so tempting. Someone else's finished result is visible on your screen while your own progress is happening quietly in the background, often so gradually that you barely notice it. A healthier body takes time. Better habits take time. Emotional maturity takes time. Financial improvement takes time. Learning takes time. Building confidence takes time. Creating a home and a life that feel good to you takes time. You have to be willing to do things today that may not produce an impressive photograph tomorrow.
This is also why I have become much more intentional about what I consume online. I don't think every woman needs to completely abandon social media, but I do think we should be honest about how certain accounts make us feel. If following a particular celebrity consistently leaves me feeling ugly, inadequate or dissatisfied with my own life, why am I continuing to follow her? If I know that looking at a particular woman's perfectly curated life makes me spiral into envy and comparison, why am I voluntarily giving her access to my attention every day?
I don't owe anyone my attention.
Unfollowing someone is not an act of bitterness. It can simply be an act of protecting your peace and refusing to repeatedly expose yourself to something that makes you feel worse about your own existence. I don't need to know what every celebrity is wearing, where every influencer is travelling, what somebody's new kitchen looks like or what another woman is doing with her career and relationship. I can use that time to read something that actually teaches me something, cook dinner, go outside, exercise, write, clean my home, work on my projects or simply sit quietly without consuming somebody else's life.
The more I remove envy from my daily life, the easier it becomes to appreciate what is actually mine.
Gratitude has become important to me for exactly this reason. I don't want gratitude to become one of those empty wellness words that means pretending everything is wonderful, because I don't believe we need to deny our problems in order to appreciate what we have. I can want more for myself while still appreciating what is already here. I can have goals without making my current life worthless. I can want to improve my appearance without hating the body I have today. I can want financial security without deciding that my present circumstances make me a failure. I can want a different future without treating my current life as something I need to escape from as quickly as possible.
It's beautiful to want what you already have.
That sentence has become something I return to because so much of modern life is built around convincing us that satisfaction is always somewhere else. The next purchase, the next holiday, the next relationship, the next body, the next apartment, the next achievement, the next version of ourselves will finally make us feel complete. Meanwhile, our actual lives are happening right now, and if we are never capable of appreciating anything until we acquire something better, we are creating a system where satisfaction will always remain just out of reach.
I don't want to live like that.
I want to wake up and notice the ordinary things that belong to me. I want to appreciate my home, my body, my health, the food I can prepare, the books I can read, the things I have learned, the experiences I have survived and the person I am gradually becoming. I want to become someone who can look at another woman's beauty or success without immediately turning it into evidence against herself.
Another woman's life is not an accusation against mine.
Her beauty does not make me ugly. Her success does not make me a failure. Her relationship does not mean I am unlovable. Her money does not determine my worth. Her confidence does not prove that I am inadequate. Her accomplishments do not erase mine, and her existence does not take anything away from my right to create a meaningful life.
I think the healthiest response to envy is curiosity. Instead of sitting there thinking, Why does she have that and I don't, I can ask myself what exactly I am reacting to. Is there something I genuinely want? If there is, can I work toward it? Is there something about her that inspires me? Can I learn from it? Or am I simply feeling insecure and projecting that insecurity onto somebody else's life?
That kind of self-reflection gives envy somewhere useful to go.
If I admire someone's discipline, I can become more disciplined. If I admire someone's knowledge, I can learn. If I admire someone's fitness, I can exercise. If I admire someone's cooking, I can learn to cook. If I admire someone's career, I can develop my skills. If I admire someone's confidence, I can work on my relationship with myself. I don't have to turn admiration into resentment, and I don't have to turn another woman's success into a reason to dislike her.
I can let it teach me something.
Most importantly, I can come back to my own life.
I can make the food. I can read the book. I can take the walk. I can do the workout. I can put the phone away. I can create the routine. I can keep the promise I made to myself. I can learn something new. I can clean the room. I can save the money. I can work on the habit. I can become a little more emotionally mature than I was yesterday.
That is where my power is.
Not in trying to become the woman I envy, but in becoming the best version of the woman I actually am.
I don't want envy to steal years from me that I could have spent building a life I genuinely enjoy. I don't want to spend my days monitoring women I secretly wish I could be while neglecting the woman looking back at me in the mirror. I want to accept myself fully enough to see where I need work, love myself enough to actually do that work and develop enough gratitude that I don't overlook everything beautiful simply because I am focused on what I think is missing.
The goal is to stop believing that more is the only thing that can make us happy.
I want ambition without self-loathing, self-improvement without punishment, discipline without cruelty and gratitude without complacency. I want to work hard for the life I want while still appreciating the life I already have, because I am beginning to understand that the real luxury is not having everything another person has. It is being able to look at your own life and feel that you are finally on your own side.
Thankful for your presence, Neja

Comments
Post a Comment