Not Everything Deserves a Platform
I have become increasingly annoyed by the way the word censorship gets thrown around whenever someone pushes back against a statement that is cruel, discriminatory, dehumanizing, blatantly unsupported by evidence, or simply no longer defensible in light of what we actually know. Somehow, we have reached a point where asking people not to spread harmful nonsense is treated as some terrifying attack on free speech, as though every opinion deserves an equal microphone and every person is entitled to have their most damaging ideas broadcast to everyone else without anyone being allowed to object.
I do not believe that.
I believe in freedom of thought, freedom of expression and the ability to question authority, challenge popular beliefs and have uncomfortable conversations, but I also believe that society has every right to establish boundaries around what we normalize, amplify and allow to cause harm. Those things are not contradictory to me. In fact, I think a functioning society requires both the freedom to speak and the willingness to recognize that words have consequences, particularly when those words are being used to justify discrimination, encourage cruelty or present demonstrably false claims as though they were established facts.
What bothers me most is how easily people use the word censorship to shut down any criticism of their own beliefs. Someone makes a claim that has been thoroughly investigated and disproven, someone points out that the claim is not supported by evidence, and suddenly the person challenging it is accused of wanting to silence them. Someone says something deeply discriminatory about a group of people, someone objects to it, and suddenly the conversation becomes about the supposed oppression of the person who made the discriminatory statement rather than the actual people being targeted by it.
I find that incredibly backwards.
Being told that your statement is harmful is not censorship. Being criticized is not censorship. Losing social approval because people find your beliefs cruel is not censorship. Being asked to provide evidence for a factual claim is not censorship. Having a platform decide that certain content violates its rules is not automatically censorship either, particularly when that platform is a private space with its own standards about what it will and will not host.
We have to stop pretending that every disagreement is an attack on freedom.
I also think we have become far too attached to the idea that every opinion deserves to be treated as equally respectable simply because it is an opinion. I do not believe that all opinions have equal value, and I certainly do not think we should be required to pretend otherwise. If one person says something based on decades of research and another person says something that has been repeatedly disproven, I am not interested in pretending that these positions belong on some perfectly balanced intellectual scale just because both people are technically expressing an opinion.
Facts do not become optional because someone feels strongly about them.
When evidence changes our understanding of something, I want people to be capable of changing their minds with it. I want us to be able to say, "We used to believe this, but we know more now." I actually think there is something deeply admirable about that kind of intellectual humility, because being willing to update your beliefs when reality gives you new information requires far more strength than stubbornly defending something simply because you have already invested your identity in it.
What I find particularly disturbing is when people use the language of free speech to protect ideas that are not merely unpopular but actively dehumanizing. I do not think we need to bend over backwards to make cruel opinions comfortable for everyone else. If someone expresses an opinion that treats other human beings as inherently inferior, deserving of fewer rights, worthy of humiliation or somehow less deserving of empathy, I am completely comfortable with society pushing back hard against that.
In fact, I think we should.
I am not interested in living in a world where being "open minded" means keeping the door permanently open to cruelty. I am not interested in treating discrimination as just another perspective that deserves polite consideration at the dinner table, and I am certainly not interested in pretending that refusing to tolerate dehumanization makes someone intolerant.

Comments
Post a Comment